Courses with the UNIV designation are geared toward undergraduates, advance an Academic Success or university purpose (e.g., progression, retention, graduation), and do not duplicate courses taught in individual academic departments or schools. A UNIV course must include:
- Learning outcomes and an assessment plan
- A staffing plan that ensures that instructors are academically prepared and receive appropriate training in policies and procedures
- A unit devoted to educating students on academic integrity principles
A UNIV course is not generally designed to meet major requirements but can be designed to include the following:
- Support academic skills development and academic inquiry
- Provide an experiential component
- Support completion of a certificate
- Be interdisciplinary—e.g., drawing on faculty from more than one College/school
- Meet university requirements (e.g., Goal 5.2 of KU Core)
- Offered online or in an intersession
- Offered for variable credit
Proposing a UNIV course
Before submitting a proposal for a UNIV course, please develop learning outcomes for the course, an assessment plan, and a staffing plan that ensures that instructors are academically prepared and receive appropriate training in policies and procedures. You will also need to include a unit in your course that is devoted to educating students on academic integrity principles. Courses must have a university sponsor: a dean, director, or department chair must sign off on the proposal.
Please submit your UNIV proposal through the Course Inventory Management tool. Before you make your submission, please download and complete this form. Upload the completed form with your submission. Please also upload a syllabus. (If you are unable to access the Course Inventory Management site, please email email@example.com).
Your submission will be reviewed by the Vice Provost for Academic Success before referral to the University Core Curriculum Committee for consideration. The UCCC serves as the curriculum committee for UNIV courses and makes the final decision on course nominations.
Please contact Academic Success to discuss proposed UNIV courses.